What Occurs During a Prenatal Visit
One of the most important visits to the pediatrician takes place before your baby is born. During a prenatal visit to the Children's Clinic La Jolla in La Jolla, CA, you'll meet the providers, including pediatricians S. Daman Paul and Gretchen Gainor and pediatric nurse practitioner Asako Komiya. You'll also have ample opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns regarding infant care and health.
What you can expect during your prenatal visit
The prenatal visit offers the perfect opportunity to get to know your child's healthcare providers and prepare for the arrival of your son or daughter. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents schedule a visit during the third trimester of pregnancy.
During your visit you'll:
- Share Your Medical and Family History: Your child's pediatrician will ask questions about issues that could affect the health of your baby, including pregnancy complications, past pregnancies, and diseases that run in your family or your partner's family.
- Review Your Preparations: Your pediatrician can give you the latest information regarding car seat safety, safe bedding for your crib, infant sleeping positions, and childproofing your home.
- Discuss Immunizations: Immunizations prevent your child from developing mumps, measles, rubella, polio, hepatitis, tetanus, Diptheria, hepatitis, rotavirus, whooping cough, and other illnesses. You'll also learn what immunizations family members or caregivers who will interact with your baby should receive and receive information about the recommended immunization schedule.
- Talk About Life with a Baby: Do you have a few questions about caring for your baby? Whether you want to know when you can expect your baby to sleep through the night, what to do if feeding issues occur, or how to avoid diaper rash, your pediatrician or provider can offer plenty of information.
- Discuss Postpartum Depression: Recognizing the signs of postpartum depression can help you ensure that you receive the care you need if you happen to develop the condition.
Prenatal visits also help you decide if the pediatric practice you're considering will be a good fit for you and your family. Do the providers seem caring and competent? Are the La Jolla office hours convenient? Can you reach the doctors easily in an emergency?
Have you scheduled a prenatal visit with the pediatricians at Children's Clinic La Jolla in La Jolla, CA, yet? Call Drs. Paul and Gainor and pediatric nurse practitioner Asako Komiya at (858) 459-5437 to make your appointment.